Thread: Barong again!
View Single Post
Old 10th October 2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

As the scabbard on your example seems to have a raised central ridge I would say that making a new toe piece similar to the lower one shown in Vandoo's photo above would be a fair representation of how the original on yours would have looked. The mother of pearl carving would just be an extension of the simple line and floral pattern shown on the throat pieces you already have. The ferrules and what they were made of would have depended on how much the owner had to spend on dressing up the hilt. As your example has modest quality carving on the mother of pearl I doubt that the ferrules would have been very elaborate either so possibly three would suit this piece. Again, the wrap could have been made of a few different materials, but in this case I would guess that simple braided cotton fishing line might have been originally used and therefore would also serve as a proper replacement. Now, as far as your showing some of the work that you have done it would depend on what it is. We do have a section of the forum called "Ethnographic Miscellania" and depending on what it is you would like to post it might fit in there. Just read the ground rules posted at the top of the page and decide for yourself. The suggestions I posted on your barong are my own opinions and others here might not totally agree and give you other advice on how to proceed with your project.

Best,
Robert

Last edited by Robert; 10th October 2014 at 09:27 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote