Thread: Arabian swords
View Single Post
Old 27th March 2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams everyone !
Ya the Omanis all use the term Kattarra for the long double edged flexible bladed weapon. I often see sword demonstration dances where the exponents do flying vertical takeoffs 3 feet in the air with buckler in one hand and sword ( the kattara ) in the other and showing off by throwing the sword in the air 10 feet and catching it accurately..Plus an incredible flexed wrist action which makes the blade buzz and hum!!
I argue that the buckler is vital to balance when fighting with this weapon as without it you wobble badly. Used properly the small shield can also easily whip the opponents sword out of his hand. The Bucklers name is "Terrs" in Oman, made of thick buffalo or rarely Rhino and commonly some sea creature which I think is whale hide.
On the subject of Museums in Oman I will get their details but I find the best info comes out of the Tariq Rajeb Museum in Kuwait. (Slightly Biased since they have one of my Omani Battle Swords given 15 Years ago !) and it is that weapon that really intrigues me ... and the link to the weapon in that museum case ?... The left hand one. Is it related to the Old Omani Battlesword? If I can post some photos I think you will see my point as the hilts are very similar..It may be just coincidence..but the Museum picture looks like an Omani hilt thats been stretched... very curious... I saw one in Muscat the other day and the vendor said it was from Saudia. The point is that little is known about the Omani Battle Sword (17th Century) except that research now points at a much earlier date... perhaps 10th Century... so its important if there is a link...( and actually its only the hilt Im concerned about just now as the blades are different ) The superb work by Elgood ... and another by Anthony North doesnt pick up on this ... I have attached pics of 2 of my Omani Battle Swords (Total Lenghth 30 inches).Please note that they are unrestored therefor lack the silver furniture leather handle wrist strap and scabbard which fell off probably 3 or 4 hundred years ago...!! I have read the detailed descriptions at Viking Swords on this weapon but I suspect there is a lot more to discover. Its a hacking sword with a broad wing shaped blade and a spiked hilt with turned down quillons but what sort of shield ?? and where exactly did it come from and who made it?...It could predate the long sword Kattarra by 600 years ...
On these Ive seen wootz blades and non wootz andengraved silver cartouch at the throat and sometimes a name on the Pommel in silver. Ive also seen the brass dot on some blades; 3 dots and a one dot. Please compare the hilt with the Saudi hilt in the museum picture ... ?

The Saudi sword I saw in Muscat had a fake running wolf stamp.
Just to confuse !! The Zubair Museum in Muscat has an Omani Battle Sword with a Running Wolf stamp too...
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote