View Single Post
Old 9th March 2013, 03:56 AM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Aiontay, actually I think we are on pretty much the same page, and the discussion on whether these breastplates were intended as defensive armor or ceremonial certainly has some relevance to our more philosophical review of the warrior ethos of these cultures.
Naturally what you say makes perfect sense, and while these warriors have reached a temporal state of resolution as far as thier own mortality, it does stand to reason that they would seek to last as long as possible to achieve thier purposes. It is known than in cases in the Sudan, warriors would bind themselves tightly with fabric to longer resist collapse after multiple bullet hits. There are of course many analogies describing these kinds of methods and practices in combat circumstances. I dont think anyone goes into battle intent on death, but in actual situations psychological effects often result in almost surreal perceptions of the actual nature of events taking place. I think one of the best accounts of these kinds of matters is "The Face of Battle" by the late Professor John Keegan.
In actuality, few ever know what they will do or how they will react when extremely dramatic things take place, but these warriors typically were quite mentally prepared to function effectively to accomplish goals, and to do so meant to preserve themselves to the fullest extent to do so. To simply die in battle without regard would be entirely senseless and accomplish nothing.

I agree about the Cherokee, and I have been to many of the locations in North Carolina, Tennessee and Oklahoma. They deeply cherish and revere thier heritage, and do not take preserving it lightly. My brother in law is of Cherokee and Comanche heritage. In my travels I have been fortunate to visit many American Indian heritage centers of many tribes and there is a profound difference between the 'tourist' trinkets in gift shops and the material in museums and observances of traditional ceremony and events.
One of the most moving experiences I have had was in a visit through the Black Hills, and to Wounded Knee, something I will never forget. The heritage center there is something I wish every American could experience.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote