View Single Post
Old 7th March 2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiontay
This topic came up before. These are definitely not armor; they're big pieces of bead work. Look and see if there are any flat places on the bone beads. That is one of the signs my grandmother told me to always look for, although these days they probably fake that as well.

Just because you are prepared to die in battle, doesn't mean you won't try to avoid it. We did carry shields after all.

Hi Aiontay,
Actually this topic certainly has come up, but I cannot recall how long it has been. Its always great to see the subject of American Indian weaponry come up as it is one I find fascinating and enjoy learning more about. I do feel a bit awkward though trying to describe what is often perceived about the perspective held on certain matters within another culture, when clearly I am only an observer, and obviously do not have first hand access.

This is why I often write in depth (and thank you so much Colin for reading my posts and for the personal acknowledgement, very much appreciated), so I can try to show various aspects of the topic. I think in my post #6 I did note the fact that these breastplates were mostly decorative and evolved from beadwork, describing trade 'hair pipes' from New York into the upper Missouri River regions, which were actually 'beads' fashioned from shells.

I also tried to clarify my earlier note regarding the ethos of the Plains warriors in their warrior societies as described by author David E. Jones ("Native North American Armor, Shields and Fortifications", 2004, p.45).
In his description Jones notes the death haunted warrior songs of these groups, and asks, "...how could a warrior sing 'I am the one who wishes to die' and strap on a six ply rawhide vest, war shirt and helmet?".
He goes on to cite references from early writer Robert H. Lowie ("Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History", Vol. 11, part 11, p.846, 'The Kiowa Warrior',1916) who notes the chant of some Kiowa warriors, "..now I am gone. I am going to leave you. I will not run anymore". The Crow warriors of the Fox Society sang, "...listen you foxes, I want to die" (Lowie, op. cit. 1913, p.158, Vol. 11, "Crow Military Societies").

In my subsequent post I pointed out that despite these apparant death oriented ethos among warriors of these societies, clearly there was a much larger character of self preservation among tribal warriors in general. Lowie apparantly also noted that despite the contrary attitude of the warrior society members they paradoxically honored the custom that the loss of a single man in battle negated any cause for celebration at its end regardless of outcome.

In reviewing these references and the amazing detail included by these anthropologists, the most important factor I have realized is the absolute brilliance of the warriors of these tribes, ever expanding my admiration not only of them, but of Native American tribes overall and thier culture.

All best wishes,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote