View Single Post
Old 13th June 2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
It looks like a very nice small Villager kukri,quite what a Japanese soldier was doing with it I have no idea, unless it was taken from domiciled Nepalese that they killed in a village?
ps Partial tang kukri of that type are always hard to date
Guys, I'm not really interested in the he said she said stuff as everyone has an opinion and perspective of only what they saw and were exposed to in their immeadiate enviroment and nothing is absolute outside of these immeadiate boundries but having this item here and it some what looking like the second Kukri with the grey hilt, I thought I must bring this provenanced example forward and if it didn't come with the unbroken linage and original post marked and dated shipping crate I wouldn't be wasting the time with the notion but it does kinda debunk the fanciful notion that private purchase Kukri were never used by Gurkha in WWII.

Simon, whilst I commend your exploration on a notion, but to me this discussion cannot be an absolute. I know many a good professional soldier who in one way or another, pack a little more than his standard issue kit, the personal and psychological edge that these non standard items brings to the individual is what keeps these warriors ticking and adds a touch of comfort and reassurance to each one...sometimes these changes are so subtle with the exchange of one item for another or better quality that looks so very similar but does a better job in the eyes of the individual.
In a war zone no one is going to be looking at his mates Kukri next to him and be thinking hey, that really doesn't look like mine I'll be telling the CO when we get through with this, heck I don't even think the CO would care if the job was done so long as next time they are on regimental parade he is displaying the correct kit.

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 13th June 2010 at 03:26 PM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote