View Single Post
Old 25th April 2012, 02:25 PM   #30
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
I edited my last post yes that is the edge. The file feels like the edge is harder than the back, later I'll try a real jewelers file. Stu, I bought it thinking the pattern was an etch job and thinking the hilt was a probable replacement.

When I started looking closer I noticed the edges bluntness and hearing so much about Arabian dance swords. I had to ask I'll ask again and post a few shots after a bit of etching. Did some Pasha want to make sure His dancing
girls didn't get too wild?

The results of the etch after degreasing only for a prep!!! Just looked under the lower quillion it is sharper there than the rest of the blade. Who's smiling then?

Steve,

The fact that there is a flex in the blade and the edge feels harder than the spine is certainly a good turn of events.
If it was mine and I was keeping it I'd sharpen it.
I'd want to see the pattern disappearing into just layers near the edge and I'd try to not 'explore' to deeply into the birdseye patterned areas when finishing the edgefor fear of 'rubbing them through' and finding layered steel underneath.
So, I'd confine the regrinding to about 1cm from the cutting edge and then repolish the whole blade to a uniform smothness and then try a gentle scratch with a few different etchants and see which is giving a nice contrast without biting to deeply.

ATB
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote