Thread: Shadow Keris
View Single Post
Old 26th November 2010, 03:31 PM   #23
tunggulametung

But I saw on social networking sites/blog many keris enthusiast which is likely from Singapore/Malaysia sometime post really nice contemporary Keris Semenanjung

As for power tools, we really have to compromise (more result oriented). I know in the ideal world it is nice to know that our collection is fully handcrafted but for today economy it is difficult for the artist to survive just to rely on fully handcrafted piece of art which take longer to accomplish not to mention for example good day to work, pauses between work, ideal work hour etc etc if we are to follow the traditional path. Moreover, values and the planet and it's surrounding which the artist live is rapidly changing, so his need and inspiration. They understand that collectors are mostly towards antique pieces/pay good money for antique, which is one of the contra-productive aspect on contemporary art. Who knows that in earlier few centuries things are the other way around. I agree about degradation of skill, but someone with good knowledge/basic skill on how to make one item only need to see enough examples and stimulus/support to achieve better quality piece of art. But most of their time are not spent on study, so I guess it is our responsibility on approaching and passing this. Let us ask our self for example how many time we commissioned new keris or it's fittings directly to the artist? Well not so many artist around and geographical barrier as well as amount to pay for newly commissioned job will likely exceed what we are willing to pay. In 21st century mostly anything are ready to wear. How many time we are today into buying fabric and bring it to tailor? Ready to wear clothing are abundance in the market, more selection and affordable. If we are commissioning a new work, we cannot see how it like until it finish, the result might be disappointing and we are rarely into buying this risk.

Just my two rupiahs...
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote