View Single Post
Old 9th January 2024, 03:41 PM   #24
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
Rather than exact workshop, I am asking if this blade profile looks in the Spanish style.
As i said, it would take a rather experienced person to define such attribution; as the smith's punzones are potentialy hidden by that adapted tang ferrule. Not so easy to judge by the blade style, as different masters didn't follow a Toledo pattern but worked on their own blade profiles. In reading Lhermite, one tends to understand that Hernandez recasso blades were mainly 'llanos' but also 'buhidos', two swords i can not find in any Spanish dictionaries nor in the Web. Perhaps 'llana' means plain, flat (?). Let us realize that they were mostly 'wide', if i read correctly GERMÁN DUEÑAS BERAIZ paper. Wait until some knowledged member says this is not a Spanish blade. As in my perspective this is indeed Spanish ... and forged by Sebastian Hrnandez. That cut steel hilt is in no way Spanish, i would say; but i will leave such question to Jim.

PS
Posts crossed with Jim. I take long to essay texts (in English) before submiting them
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote