View Single Post
Old 12th September 2010, 05:59 PM   #1
mrwizard

Default Ancestor hilt or tourist piece?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the field of keris in general and this forum has been a extremely valuable source been so far. Many thanks to all experts here that so willingly share their knowledge.

My reason for leaving read-only mode is a keris i picked up recently. The hilt is most unusual (at least from my inexperienced point of view) as it is (a) rather coarsely carved and (b) clearly identifies as human.
Both is rather strange a even cheap tourist pieces sport more elaborative carving and almost all keris hilts
i've seen in this forum either depict some deity/demon (e.g. raksasha) or abstract very heavily form the human form.
From the history of the keris all i know that it has been in a private collection of a german collector for about 40-60 years and was sold by his relatives after his death.

It came in a sheat that has definitely been made for a completely different keris, so i didn't add any pictures of it.
Another remarkable feature is that the ganja is etched/rusted through at the pesi, so it is slightly bent outwards.
Attached Images

mrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote