View Single Post
Old 14th October 2011, 11:47 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I would be the first to agree that antiquities and antique items from various cultures should be retained by them, but we as collectors, and those who are dealers in these items, are guilty of doing exactly what is being frowned at here.

Hi Stu,
Actually what I was trying to say is that in many cases, maybe even most in certain situations, had these weapons or items not ended up in the hands of individuals who wanted to preserve and study them, they may well have virtually disappeared as the case described here. The idea that every item of antiquity should be kept in its aboriginal region to me seems a paradox, as with trade and the usual diffusion of items, how could this be sufficiently determined. Also, often arms and such antiquities in situ in original locale are often disregarded as old and no longer of use, ending up in thier disposal or wasting away. If we think of the lack of museums and displays of weapons in the 'west' is sadly lacking, consider the number of museums in many countries and that situation in preserving thier weapons heritage. Obviously there are some, but hardly the number to sufficiently foster the care of all the weapons from each country.

Weapons of colonial powers which ended up in native hands do not necessarily need to be returned to the power who made them. Native weapons acquired in colonial territories as souveniers whether by purchase or capture have the same status.
The reason most weapons of the crusades etc. have disappeared is that most were taken by scavengers from battle regions and thrown into huge heaps of scrap to be smelted and reforged. Some of the few which survived ended up in Alexandra, then to Istanbul, then into private collections.

Obviously there are exceptions, such as Samurai swords, which are sacred to the culture and tradition of the families, many being purchased to be returned to thier place. Somehow I do not see Kasallawi kaskaras needing to be returned to the Sudan; Taureg weapons sold as souveniers back to the Sahara etc. I suppose that the principle is well placed, but there are so many variations and exceptions that cases must be judged on thier own merits and circumstances.
As I noted, we as collectors, or students in the study of arms, I would like to think are trying to learn and preserve the history of these weapons and the heritage of the people who used them. In most cases where I spoke with people from India for example, explaining my study and collecting of thier weapons were thrilled to see such sincere interest in their history. Rather than feeling violated by these weapons being outside their country, they felt honored to see this interest and study . If museums take this approach, then others outside the country of origin of the weapons can see and appreciate other cultures...something deeply needed in todays world.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote