View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:34 PM   #12
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
is 100-112cm allover not the usual lenght for this type of mid 17thc cuphilt rapier?
This is an interesting issue.
My knowledge of these things is less than empirical, but judging by the residual information i have, the length of (these) swords was a controversial matter in their period. The longer the sword the greater ascendent you would have in confrontations, as enabling you to keep your adversary at distance.
On the other hand, during the XVI century (more than one) Monarchs have established the maximum length of swords ... not just the blade but the whole weapon, precisely because of the reach.
Five palms (span) were the limit, this corresponding to 110 cms. Obviously this was "only the law", as seven palm swords, so called fora de marca (off mark), were quite popular. Eventually as a way to escape law pursuit, plenty of these sword blades found their way to Asia (India), to be mounted in Patas and Firangis.
In an extreme situation, swords of seven palms (154 cms) only of blade have appeared; other examples could even be stretched, as to show a legal length in normal circumstances and only be extended for a fight.
But judging by a book i have with various examples and considering the practical need for the contemporary common man, the length range you present seems quite reasonable to me; but again, i am not even close from expertise.
I am posting here some "off mark" rapiers, shown in the book AS ARMAS E OS BARÕES, by Eduardo Nobre. The example on the right measures 153 cms. .... with a blade of 132,5 cms by 25 m/m.
Eventually the two rapiers i am presently posting for discussion belonged in this author's collection and are depicted in this book.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote