View Single Post
Old 1st August 2017, 01:45 PM   #73
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo G
... Agree. M. Fulgosio invented the name in 1872. Of course, also Lusitanians used the falcata. Though I am more adept to the explanation about their origin given by Fernando Quesada Sanz in his book on the subject. I personally don't believe in the Greek origin...
This article i have by Leandro Saudan Tristão is largely supported by Quesada Sainz works. I have not read of any evidence other than that of his Greek origin theory. He is so keen in illustrating Greeks handling Kopides and mentioning their introduction in the Iberian Peninsula (V AC), brought by mercenaries who have participated in the Sicilian wars. But of course i don't make a case, my knowledge is residual.

Quote:
... I never thought that you were ignorant on this matter, neither tried to imply it. If I gave you this impression, please accept my apologies.
No, you didn't imply a thing; in any case i am infinitely far from having your luggage.

Quote:
... I only have the book from Quesada and some articles. You should share!!...
Try https://run.unl.pt/bitstream/10362/7...insular%20.pdf.

Quote:
... So, how it was possible that the hilt features of the falcatas were passed by the Portuguese to North Africa in the 16th Century or the 17th-18th ...
Oh ...did i say that ?

Quote:
...Instead, the Portuguese had greater presence in more suthern parts of West Africa, the Indian Ocean, India and Indonesia. They were by far greater navigators than the Spaniards...
If i agree with that, i will be accused of nationalism .

Quote:
I have Hombres, Espadas y Tomates (only text, no images) ...
So you don't have the book; apart from all fantasy contained in the tales and doubts on weapon's attributions, it is an excelent work.

Quote:
... But of what pictures are you talking about?...
Pictures i post now and then in context with topics. Just patiently browse on the book i mentioned or on his author's name, Antonio Nobre; this is one of such threads:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=eduardo+nobre.

Quote:
... Do you mean the photos from the book above and from Antonio's Page?...
I don't recall which swords Antonio had in his page; maybe some are similar (not the same) but, as far as remember, there was no detail on the pictures.

.HEREHERE HEREHERE
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 1st August 2017 at 01:55 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote