View Single Post
Old 14th May 2014, 06:31 AM   #19
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Correct; he was the mentor ... and his nephew was on the ground.

Countless; either built, rebuilt or modified.
Built from the ground were, for example,
Kalba (Quelba) under Portuguese rule in the XVI century.
Khor Fakkan (Curfacão) in the Sharjah side, with its triangular fort already in ruins by 1666.
The you have Diba Hisn (Doba) (the smallest of three Dibas) which, as you know, was once Omani Capital. Under Portuguese rule from 1624 to 1648, it is beleived they built a fort there.
You also have Qurayyat (Curiate), conquered in 1507. Its rectangular fort built by the Arabs was rebuilt by the Portuguese in the last quarter XVI century.

One must refrain from quoting other examples, as the doubt remains in whether a fortification was Portuguese because the place was under their rule, or indeed was built or rebuilt by them ... something often unclear in citations.
Also to be taken into account that present decharacterization occurs when archelogic autorities, carrying restorations interventions, promote the islamization of certain aspects ... battlements and other.

One thing inevitable to mind when you take over a medieval castle is to modify it for artillery purposes.
Cannons are heavy, but are portable ... and a vital asset in the period. They moved them a lot ... everywhere ... for the most varied reasons. You take them from you adversary when you win the battle and start using them yourself, you take them as a war trophy and you certainly take them from remote distances to exhibit them in a museum or at the door of somebody important.
One of the most formidable Muslim cannons that ever existed in India resides nowadays in Lisbon Military Museum

Salaams Fernando ~ The politics on Forts is thicker than the walls!! Interesting that Corfecan fort is pictured as for the Fort at Barka.. unless they were identical. Possibly a mistake? Once I have a few more details I think it will become clearer as to the cloudy issue on Forts here...and bearing in mind the various attempts to rebuild...sometimes with more artistic licence than it perhaps required...and with additions and adaptions that were never there originally..I agree entirely with your descriptions and it is clear to me that a lot more Portuguese influence is apparent than openly claimed. I am certain that this can be corrected.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote