View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2009, 05:34 PM   #14
Norman McCormick

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for the extra info. Do you really think it might Cavalry? I just assumed because the blade was only 26 3/4 inches it would be too short for use on horseback although dismounted would be fine. The only dedicated Cavalry Sabre I have is a Wilkinson 1821 Pattern Heavy Cavalry Officers Undress Sword which has a 36 inch blade so obviously quite a bit longer. I do remember the Tulwar Side Arm we talked about that had a short blade but it was early 20th Century and probably very much secondary to multi shot firearms. In the 18th century I would think the sword would have considerable more importance as most firearms were single shot and not without difficulty in terms of reloading. With regard to the initials contained within the oval cartouche stamped on the guard would they be the silversmith's or the cutler's mark? I can make out a T but the second letter is not easy to see so I have arranged to take the sword to a local jeweller in the hope that he can give me a positive I.D. on the initials. As far as I can see there are no date or assay stamps so if I can find the name of the hiltmaker I reckon I can get a time frame within which the sword would have been made. Will post more info as it becomes available.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote