View Single Post
Old 8th December 2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Belgian1

Default Wilkinson "precursor" hanger blade ????

Hello Mccathain, Hello Jim, Hello to everyone and thank you for your interventions,

I knew the excellent links to which you refer me and thank you.

You will think that I am "stubborn" but I still have the idea that it is a hanger of the early nineteenth of the Georgian period by the James Wilkinson Workshop. But I will try to explain my stubbornness ;-) which is probably not without interest and perhaps deserves to be dug ... I can not explain the mark "Wilkinson London" which should logically correspond to the beginning of the resumption of the Workshop of Nock in London Withechapel by his son-in-law James Wilkinson in 1804. I think it is proved that James Wilkinson made very early bayonets and why not maybe some sabers but the markings of this time are little hardly documented or simply not at all for lack of surviving material. It is from the arrival in the company of his son Henry Wilkinson, in 1824, that the known markings of this period are "Wilkinson & Son" then "Wilkinson & Co" but that you know it perfectly.
I can not explain that the period of activity of Henry Wilkinson, could manufacture blades for the police or the troop with a different marking. But also, if these hanger blades had a different marking and after 1844, why do not they wear the stamp of quality so important for Wilkinson House and guaranteeing sufficient strength for the fight, which contributed to its success in the world. If so and to this day, I am not aware of this marking "Wilkinson London" mid or late nineteenth, which seems too simple and '' pseudo craft '' for an Armorer as important using the most machines perfected for the time and the image of its blade as a guarantee of quality and differentiation. But also I would like to add without risking you from falling asleep by reading me, that the inscription "Wilkinson London" is struck and not engraved, it still makes me think that it is a pre- industrial, so certainly before the move of Henry Wilkinson to '' Pall Mall '' in 1824.
So at my idea, either it's a forerunner of the James Wilkinson period before 1824, or it's a fake Wilkinson brand but on a very high quality blade for the period.
Now I tThank you for reading me if you have reached the end .. and I let you take your minds and still hope to benefit from your constructive advice.
PS: If you have a photo of this type of mark from Wilkinson with a dating, I'll be happy to see it because I was unable to find that one

Kind regards from Belgium
Fabrice
Belgian1 is offline   Reply With Quote