View Single Post
Old 7th December 2018, 04:28 PM   #1
Belgian1

Default Help to identifying a Wilkinson London blade

Hello to all members,
I am amazed by this saber "hanger" which looks like a common sword used, among other things, by the English Police, the customs, etc. around 1850. This is not the model that made me buy it, but it is the plot he suggests with his stamping "Wilkinson London" which I did not know yet this type of marking that would be before the move to Pall Mall.
Is it possible that it was a precursor by James Wilkinson when he was still in his father-in-law's workshop in Whitechapel? Can it be a "hanger" for rifleman ... or bandsman of the Napoleonic period?
Curved blade of 60.3 cm is extremely solid, flat back of 0.7 cm by 40 cm and then becomes double edged. Total size of 74.3 cm. Ricasso 3.4cm wide then shrunk to 3.1cm wide.
The blade has not been cut, it is of manufactured origin. A detail that also seems to differentiate it from the types of Police "hanger" is that the hilt is with 8 bulbs and not 10 or 11 as for the ones from 1856.
Do you want to participate or help me clarify this enigma that promises to be exciting.
Kind regards from Belgium ;-)
Attached Images

Belgian1 is offline   Reply With Quote