View Single Post
Old 10th September 2007, 04:58 AM   #24
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odevan
Thanks for the link, it's really a nice find. However, for the 9th-10th century, it is not unusual at all; V.V. Arendt's work "Türkische Säbel aus den VIII. - IX. Jahrhunderten" (1935) focuses on this type, examines many survived examples in different museums, and concludes with a clear decision of Turkic origin.

And for the karaçori;

1. Having "multiple mentions of it but no actual evidence" doesn't always mean being mythical or fabled like "unicorn" and "Excalibur". However, if you think that the Royal Library of Alexandria is the unicorn of libraries, then I can understand that there is a conceptual difference between you and me.

2. We all may have a mistake when assuming that the karaçori is the name of a certain type of kılıç; instead, it may well be the generic name of Turkic swords in its time. Although literally means black, "kara" is an adjective which addresses to anything that is ordinary or common, or that belongs to common people. "Çori" is not used in the modern Turkish language, except it means knife in the slang of Istanbul streets..! Therefore, I always ask myself; can it have a generic meaning, just like what we mean when talking of a "European military sabre" today? (With reference to your earlier post; there is no sword engraved "European military sabre" on it, but we still classify them as such.) If this is the case, then the abovementioned work of Arendt has many examples of karaçori from the 8th century.
Here is another potential explanation: in the book " Weapons of the Islamic World" ( p.19), there ia a paragraph mentioning ...
" ... the treasure found inside the Kaaba which consisted of.... five swords imported from Kala, a small Bengali sea-port and sword manufacturing center in India"
That brings the mysterious Kalachoori back where it allegedly came from.
Is it possible that the word Cori ( sorry for the wrong C, couldn't find the correct font) comes from a proto-Turkic language?
The best that comes to my mind is the Afghani Choora.

Last edited by ariel; 10th September 2007 at 05:41 AM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote