View Single Post
Old 17th January 2011, 05:03 PM   #2
M ELEY

Default Boarders away!!

Hello Jim,
Thank you so much for posting the article and pics of this amazing find. Istumbled upon the find a week ago and was happy to see the the wreck is still turning up more and more evidence that this is in fact the Queen Anne's Revenge.
I personally think this sword does fit nicely into the time period, but very close to the first decase of the 18th century, as many of the stag-hilted examples of hangers can be placed. Hangers of this type seem to exist from the 1660's-1740's time period, with very similar types expanding out to the early 19th century, but lacking the form of earlier models. The hilt is exactly what I expected to see based on naval accounts and records of what constituted a 'naval sword' of the time period. I doubt this was Blackbeard's side-arm, but for one of his crew, it could have. What we do know is that one of the most popular models of sea swords of the time was this form of hanger, typical hunting type piece carried by both foot soldiers and naval men of the era. Stag-hilts were the popular fashion prior to the solid brass-hilted affairs (the grotesque dragon-hilted English "Houndslow"- types were also popping up in this time period, ca 1680-1710). Short, plain hangers were perfect for the tight quarters and boarding on constricted decks. It's interesting to note that the crossguard was found several years ago and just now the hilt (experts agree they are to the same sword, however).
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote