View Single Post
Old 30th January 2018, 01:01 PM   #7
kai

Question

Hello Roland,

Quote:
Now I hope for a spirited discussion!
I believe that scientifically examining the static and dynamic properties of blades will prove to be very valuable, especially when comparing different blade types!

We may need to define some parameters first though. You may want to explain, how you define the curves, for example: In your shamshir, curve #1 is very, very weak (as in almost straight), curve #3 (near the tip) is weak, too, and only curve #2 has a considerably narrower radius. The European example seems to start with a straight blade (some distortion from the wide-angle lens photography?), the more strongly curved mid section, and a weak curve towards the tip (definitely not straight) - thus, I see at least 2 curves at play here. Moreover, the curves in both pieces change their radii very gradually - how do you define separate curves? IMVHO your nice shamshir may be argued to have 1 curve, 3 curves, 5 curves, etc. unless you define a suitable modus operandi.

BTW, have you determined the center of gravity, sweet spot, blade nodes, pivot points, etc.?

A comparison with the European "repro shamshir" will probably prove to be more interesting than with the M52 (the latter being an almost straight sword with a minor kink... )

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote