View Single Post
Old 10th July 2019, 10:36 AM   #13
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Hello Anthony,

Like you, I like my blades to be in perfect condition. Unfortunately, nothing is perfect...

I had exactly the same problem with a few kerises (but also with other blades) I got in some auctions.
In all situations, I managed to repair the blades myself, so that the repairv is practically invisible to the naked eye or even under magnifying glass examination.

What I did, was:
1. straighten up the bent tip with pliers and/or gentle hammering with a very light hammer
2. very light & fine polishing of the very tip (this means just 0.5-2 mm, precisely at the bent area)
3. apply very diluted etchant (I used very diluted Nital, because that was the only etchant I had but I assume that even instant coffee will do the job) to the very tip until it gets exactly the same patina like the rest.

Unfortunately, in most cases, during step 1 the bent material broke off.
Then:
2a. reshape the tip with a very fine file, then do steps 2 and 3 from above.

I have absolutely no idea if what I did was right, but certainly the results were always very good (at least to my eyes). I am just a mechanical engineer and have no special blade-working skills, so I assume that almost everybody can do what I did.

I am very curious to read what other fellows here have to say about this.

Well, anyhow don't get too upset because as Alan said it is nothing that can't be fixed easily.

PS: I found this happening quite often with keris blades, probably because the relatively softer material of the blades.

PPS: Very beautiful pamor. Why don't you show us the whole blade?
The brownish patination near the tip is not very visible and I wouldn't bother, but if you are bothered you can try and clean it with WD40, applied stricly there with a toothpick and some wrapped cotton. My two cents.

Thank you for your kind words.
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote