View Single Post
Old 24th February 2014, 05:33 PM   #14
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
Hi Fernando,
admiraliDeit???
a D and o does not make any sense, the D and O embossing are also very unclear I think that the oxidation did make those characters look totally different.

best,
jasper
Yes Jasper,
Forget my uncertainties; your assessment is more within reality; and fits perfectly into the considerations of Dutch ordnance researcher Nico Brinck, with whom by pure accident i was contacted, due to my query on this subject to a third party i found in the Internet:

There are only a handfull of guns known to me from Friesian gunfounders. And the guns I have seen were all cast by different founders and in different periods in the Leeuwarden foundry. So I really cannot recognize the founders by their products.
But many of them were only semi litterate, and the spelling of the words had not been established. So there may be odd letters in the cartouche, but the piece is also very worn, so some letters may have a different shape now.

Let me tell you i am very much obliged for your help, Jasper
After all, it was your input that opened the path for a more objective query, which provided the solution of this riddle.
Whereas this cannon was equiping a Dutch ship or another vessel and whether its wrecking was caused by accident (storm, misroute) or battle, is another riddle, apparently much harder to solve.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote