View Single Post
Old 24th June 2011, 12:35 PM   #13
yuanzhumin

Hello Varta and all,

That's the problem with the Pingpu: are we talking only about the plain tribes or also the sinicized aborigines ?

Depending on the definition, we will considere your knife, Varta, as an Atayal knife or as a Pingpu one. Usually, the answer is that all the sinicized aborigines and their items are considered Pingpu -- but as I already said, there could be different interpretations.

For what concerns me, as soon as an item is in between, mixed partly with Chinese/Han influence and aborigines/austronesian influence, I considere it to be Pingpu. And that’s what I feel when I see your knife.

Whatever, if your knife as some special signs on it, I would be interested to see closer pictures, if it doesn’t bother you, Varta.

For this reason -- because Pingpu is very difficult to understand and not clearly defined --, I preferred few years ago to sale all my early collection of Pingpu items.

But afterward, as I was keeping on seeing nice Pingpu pieces coming up and because I had second thoughts, I started once more to collect these items. And the few items forming now my second Pingpu collection are visible here:
http://www.formosatribal.com/all.php?group=5Best

Varta, here is my tip ;-) : without knowing it, you already have seen two of the items from my first and sold Pingpu collection. These are the 2 knives you just showed as an example in the previous post.

Yes, these knives were mine at once. I bought them earlier from a dealer that is still a member of this forum, if I don’t make a mistake. I collected these 2 knives, and few others that I all sold to a Taiwanese private collector. As a collector, I needed the money to buy more stuff from the ‘raw’ mountains aborigines, which I focused on.

I know where these knives are now, and I still see them sometimes with the others I sold, when I go back to Taiwan. Were mine all the Pingpu knives that have been exhibited in 2007 in the prestigious National History museum of Taiwan, Taipei, during an important exhibit about Koxinga (also known as Cheng Chen-kung), the adventurer that drove the Dutch out of Taiwan in the 17th century. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koxinga)

Here are the pictures taken from the catalogue of the exhibit (GPN 1009601014 - the catalogue cover is also pictured here after).

Varta, you can clearly recognize the 2 knives that you just showed us in your previous post, and other knives that were also mine at once. I considere all to be Pingpu, and they are described as such by the museum (see the museum Chinese comments).

Best,

Nicolas
Attached Images

yuanzhumin is offline   Reply With Quote