View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2019, 01:48 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think there is a compelling similarity with these alternating quillons on the guard to certain Chinese sword hilts on dadao (mostly ring pommel types) and some of the 'butterfly' knives (paired).

These types of edged weapons were used by Chinese martial artists and often security forces who worked as protective guards in various capacities and sometimes with foreign firms.

The distinct similarity to British infantry hangers is well noted in those of mid to latter 18th c. (typically regarded as M1742 and M1751 though they were in use long before these dates).
* Thomas Craven was a maker c.1800+ and the acceptance marks put the example shown about then, revealing how long these patterns remained in use in some cases.

I am unsure whether this hilt is authentically from one of these swords or copied (cast) from one, but the hilt style is as described but again, with the European pointed escutcheon in the crossguard center.

It seems possible that certain Chinese factions as mentioned did work with foreign colonial occupiers, though of course by the time of the Boxer Rebellion the weapons of foreign 'devils' were scorned. I have seen various cases of cross influence, and even British M1796 disc hilts with Chinese markings and inscriptions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 23rd June 2019 at 12:52 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote