View Single Post
Old 6th February 2019, 11:50 PM   #29
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
You are most welcome. Unfortunately as this was sold by auction and came to me with no provenance what so ever. Here though is a link to the original thread on this piece that contains a few of the original auction photos as well as some very helpful information from Lorenz and other knowledgeable forum members. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=tenegre I have also added a few more examples from my collection. One with beautiful carved buffalo horn hilt with horn covered sheath and three plain working examples.

Best,
Robert
I love them all sir- especially the one with the horn-covered sheath.

Looking at the working samples, I can't help but compare them to what's currently being produced today in the same blade hotspots in Panay Island. These old samples seem sturdier and better-looking than their modern counterparts. I'm guessing these three are built like tanks, since their spine would be thick.

I'm glad you appreciate these weapons sir, especially the ones that are now deemed as extinct (there is currently no known traditional smith who can make Iloilo talibong; the ones that are still being propagated are from Libacao, Aklan- the talibongs there are distinct because of their J-shaped scabbards and long-nosed, large-eyed figural hilts, like what Battara posted).

Hopefully more of these antique pieces emerge in order to provide a benchmark for the unsurpassed quality of Philippine bladed weapons in a bygone age, and hopefully serve as guideposts or inspiration for the current generation of traditional smiths.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote