View Single Post
Old 1st May 2019, 01:03 AM   #58
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Italian origins of nimcha hilt style and other key factors

To reiterate what Midelburgo posted (#42) regarding the 'old hypothesis' on Italian origins of these nimcha hilts in the Mediterranean, carried forward in Tony North's 1975 article "A Late 15th Century Italian Sword", I wanted to repost the plate of hilt variants he included.
Attached below are 150-158 from "Armi Bianchi Italiene" (Boccia & Coelho, 1975) and all are 'storta' from Venice c. 1480-1490.

In the plate with markings, #150, the first one left top, has these three curious 'twig' markings, which are seen in the next image of the cylindrical Yemeni hilt with straight blade with apparently (heavier) marks on the blade as well as a cartouche near the ricasso. See next image for the caption #150 and followed by the article cover with Yemeni sword.

In the next images from Boccia & Coelho are storta which by the 17th century have gone from somewhat straight blades to the flared falchion type blades. These are not of course identical, but aside from elaborate fullering and added features, the sweeping profile into heavier point for optimum momentum in close quarters is evident.

In the last plate is a blade with four fullers, from Milan c. 1610, which shows makers mark and name in the key location on blade we have been discussing toward those seen on what we believe to be Algerian placed stamps.

I hope these plates might add to the detail here in our discussion which will show that evidence for Italian origins for these Mediterranean sabres from 15th century hilts is compelling. The strong influence of Venice and Genoa in North Africa and other ports of call throughout the Mediterranean and Indian Ocean, Southern Arabia seems profound.

* THE STORTA PLATE I INTENDED FIRST APPARENTLY DID NOT OPEN BUT LINKED BELOW , SORRY.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Storta.pdf (260.8 KB, 670 views)
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote