View Single Post
Old 27th April 2017, 12:11 AM   #4
Dayaktribe

Hello all, thanks to Green for posting this kris on behalf of me. Thanks as well to Batara and steve for the informative input on this kris. I acquired this kris from an antique shop in peninsula and he said the kris is from Magindanao tribe which exactly as Batara mentioned. It is a teluseko profile blade, half waving and half straight if i'm not mistaken. It did lost it front asang asang/ baca baca and the shadow of the lost clamp is still barely visible. I'm not sure whether the back side had bent it's tip or just normally like that. I think I have seen a sundang with similar presentation, will try to find the pic later. Furthermore I think this kris was once used by a fighter so the hilt used was very simple as it usually crack or destroyed with a heavy use. The hilt perhaps an old replacement but i've seen a similar hilt of sundang before where they used a local hard wood similar in hardness with bilian wood. Regarding to Steve's comment, I think the hilt is already in correct position as if we change the position it will be awkward and the graviti of slashing will feel incorrect. Lastly according to my Ilanun friend , in the old day their tribe used the scabbard made with bamboo as to contain the energy of the kris so it won't harm the surrounding people ( just a local believe at my home town- Sabah formerly known as North of Borneo).

Many thanks to all of my new friend here. Any information/ comment on this sundang is highly appreciated. This actually my 1st attempt to post reply in this wonderful forum.
Dayaktribe is offline   Reply With Quote