View Single Post
Old 31st July 2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Chinese sabre blade believed of late Ming dynasty with svastika markings

For some time I have been intrigued by the antiquity of the symbol of the svastika, and its appearance on weapons long before the obvious negative connotations from its purloined use before and during WWII.

It appears that the symbol likely derives from solar oriented symbolism that may be as early as the Neolithic period. It is known that the symbol was used in ancient Greece as seen in the image here from c.300 BC. In about this time in India, the Mauryan ruler Ashoka adopted Buddhism, and began construction of various temples and stupas as well as his well known pillars.
It is important to note the appearance of architectural elements as well as symbolism in the decoration on weaponry that often occurs. In the case of these monuments as well as other material culture associated with Buddhism, the svastika often appears as one of the first of the 64 auspicious symbols on Buddhas footprint.

The Sanskrit term svastika (sv=good, asti=to be) indicates the typical interpretation of the symbol, meaning good luck, success, good fortune.The Japanese 'manji' of the middle ages was the same symbol, which carried the Buddhist meaning protecting from evil forces.

In Greece, this symbol was the 'gammodian' , incorporating four 'gamma' letters into a wheel type arrangement.
The solar application as well as representation of the four cardinal directions seem universal in viewing the symbol.

In China, this symbol, termed the 'pinya wan' if I understand correctly, of course carried the auspicious Buddhist symbolism, and if memory serves, there was Buddhist motif on the mounts of this sword blade, which had a distinct yelman and as noted was believed of probably latter Ming dynasty.
I cannot recall more as this is a photo taken many years ago of a sword in private collection, with later mounts carrying Buddhist motif.

I would like to hear thoughts on the use of the svastika on Asian weapons, and hopefully see other examples. More on the use of the svastika would be interesting, but I beg to defer on attention to WWII
Another example , aside from the Asian use would be the American Indian use of these symbols, and how and when did they arrive in America?

All best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote