View Single Post
Old 25th March 2019, 03:22 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While I of course join in the consensus that this is an incredibly beautiful blade on this kampilan,, I realize just how little is typically known of the history this weapon form by myself and perhaps many others not well versed in this field of study. It seems it is of course well established in the Philippines, but that it had wider distribution in Borneo and numbers of other regions.

Just how old is this form known to be? and do the blades vary in shape and of course as suggested here (in this type of metal) in character regionally?

I recall reading some time ago that Magellan was killed in the Philippines by warriors and while some narratives use nebulous terms such as 'scimitar' or 'cutlass' to describe the sword(s) used by them, it seems some accounts use the term 'kampilan'. Since this was in the 16th c. is this just a modern known term for 'sword' in the Philippines, or could this form have been in use that early?

While very much enjoying the beauty of this magnificent example of Charles' I cannot help but wonder more on the form itself.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote