View Single Post
Old 12th June 2022, 09:58 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
I still like the idea that 1414 at least may well be a reference to a bible verse, like Exodus 1414; "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still".

As for 1441: psalm 144:1: "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."
These passage attributions are of course reasonably suggested, but most regard the uses of numbers with magical or talismanic values as in astrological and alchemical symbolisms. The '4' is a lucky number and represents jupiter etc. and occurs in certain balemarks, trade markings. The well known balemark for the East India Company , a quartered heart had a 4 atop. It was often claimed that the 4, which had originally been a cross (like the cross and orb), had the extra line added to make a 4 to avoid offending Islamic trade partners, but it was actually to invoke protection from harm to company property marked with this balemark.

On many Islamic blades there are similar kinds of markings, invocations and inscriptions. For example on many Mahdist kaskara (and other arms) there was profuse acid etched calligraphy (termed thuluth) which in bold, often repetitive characters was often regarded as indecipherable or without actual literal meaning. It was found that these were actual Quranic phrases but used in a linear decorative fashion along with interjected Mahdist invocations. These blades were believed to be imbued with the 'magic' of the Mahdi, to give the warrior assurances and strength in battle. The crescent moon markings also seen are 'dukari' and magically imbue the blade as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 12th June 2022 at 10:23 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote