Thread: Eunjangdo
View Single Post
Old 26th June 2022, 03:01 AM   #6
JoeCanada42

on first glance my thoughts were the same, and evidently also by the person who sold it to me so cheaply at the sale.
although I wonder, and got this feeling
it is silver, the blade is carbon steel of obvious quality, it is in very good shape, just a touch of rust, no damage , the photos may make it look nicked..
even a souvenir can be of quality and of value, and if modern.
it is still made by a jeweler and a blade smith (master). I saw in a video it takes 177 steps and is tempered 7 times.
anyways, i see the box yes it made me think trinket, but the box has no labels or markings,, the box does seem like it could be narrower, i have several of those boxes of various shapes an sizes, if i wanted without much artistic skill i could add holders, so the box could be later to the peice,, or original and old or modern, either way, i have also seen these silver ones packed in paper boxes. the member who posted two of them earlier, i think evidently made a type O when he said stainless steel, i see you mention that would make it modern, but its clear its not stainless steel he even went on to say he had a wood box calling it a silver knife.
as for the construction i don't see what it is that is modern your refering too.?
the niello is an old technique, the dragons and signature are carved, the dragons are unique not all of the same pattern. the detail is very nice, although when tarnished in my photos and in the other members photos the art does look cartoony. i would say if modern they followed traditional old methods.
JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote