Thread: Indian Armguard
View Single Post
Old 12th January 2014, 09:35 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Im glad to see you back as this topic is quite intriguing. While armor is not particularly my field either, it is interesting to look into though some of the questions you have will be difficult to address.

In my initial response I had spent some time going through resources which I hoped might have some specific detail or information pertaining to Sind, as you have noted. Actually all appearances seem to point to Sind for this item as the brass decorative borders seem favored in that region.
I would point out that as I understand the item you have is actually a vambrace or bazu band, while the dastana is the glove or gauntlet usually of mail.

I would also point out that like most sets of armor, the components are usually from various sources and not necessarily homogenous or congruent.
In the case of the example you saw at Leeds it is believed to be comprised of varying components with only the shirt of 'Sind' style.
Though the example shown by Estcrh is not referenced, I believe it is as I noted in Krakow, and the helmet is actually believed European and earlier.

These are I think the problems you may face with your thesis in that there is great difficulty in finding reliable comparisons to classify to a certain region in the capacity you suggest. Also, Sind was like most areas of India, subject to considerable outside infuences and cultural flux. It was under Mughal rule from 17th into 18th c. then invaded by the Durrani's 1747 becoming part of Afghanistan, then taken by the Talpurs in 1783, tribes from the regions of neighboring Baluchistan.

The most common denominator however would be the strong, even dominant, influence of Persia which of course included arms and armor.

I know the article you mention on galvanizing and will try to get my copy.

As with many arms and armor in India, there was so much diffusion from one region to another a study as you propose would be difficult, and only the documented attention you seek would provide data toward your thesis.
In that respect most of the sources thus far mentioned are, though focused on Indian arms, far too general and concern mostly typology.

Still we will continue to look for the information you seek, and hope you will keep us posted on your own progress as well.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote