Thread: Colichemardes
View Single Post
Old 30th December 2021, 02:23 PM   #15
urbanspaceman

Default flat blade colichemardes

Following on from my last sentence regarding the possibility/probability that flat blade colichemardes are modified broadswords I have to ask if anyone has any information regarding the time of arrival of this style of blade?

If the arrival of the smallsword had encouraged the learning of a new style of fighting, with an emphasis on the thrust, but the cost of the new hollow blades was (and it certainly was) discouraging, even prohibitive, then the conversion of a broadsword blade must have seemed like a good idea on more counts than merely financial.

I know that many were unconvinced by the efficacy of the smallsword due to its apparent delicacy when opposing a heavy battlefield blade - in particular the Scots - believing it to have little blocking and parrying ability; this reason has been suggested on more than one occasion as the justification for a 'squeezed' blade.

It suggests to me that the cut-down broadsword was the beginning of what would become the traditional hollow blade colichemarde.

Has anyone seen flat bladed colichemardes retaining a smith's marking and if so could they let me see them?

Curiously, Diderot does not show this style; and equally, does not show the style with the rolled lower groove that would eventually predominate. See attached for what is shown:
Attached Images

urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote