View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 04:21 PM   #8
Boedhi Adhitya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
In Muntilan -- about 10 kilometers from Yogyakarta -- also there is Heru, a very young and talented keris maker. In one keris Exhibition in Bentara Budaya Jakarta last year, Heru was number 3 winner of "keris competition" (the first time, of such event in years). And the winner is a metallurgy bachelor from Surabaya, Rudy Hartonodiningrat. Also very talented....
Excuse me, Ganjawulung, I know Heru personally, and I used to visit him, just to chat and seeing his works. Yes, he is a talented craftman, and before he make kerises, he was a keris dealer (and actually still a dealer, until now). But for the sake of accuracy, he didn't take the 3rd place in keris shaping competition. The 3rd place was taken by a talented young Madura guy, but I forget the name. The 1st, as you already mentioned, was taken by KRT Hartonodiningrat, and the 2nd by Mr Subandi. Heru's work on the competition was actually good, but the edge was too thin. As he was aging his work with acid to 'wipe-off' the file mark (like other competitors did, except Subandi), the acid ate-up the edge, making the blade proportion ruined. Very Bad Luck
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote