View Single Post
Old 25th December 2021, 12:06 PM   #14
cornelistromp

the outerline of the engraving the pommel and the guard were done with a hammer and chisel, this was not unusual. see example.
everything looks very good just because the design of the hilt, guard and pommel, is extremely strange makes me doubt.

what I find odd: the shape of the pommel, the diamond-shaped ends of the guard, reminds me a bit of a cleymore.
The ringguards have an unusual outline shape and are forged towards the ends at the cross, and not from the center going outwards.
The small rings on the inside are usually forged on the center block, apart from the outer ring.
The two curls in the center of the quillons are "perfect" in shape, like the relief work on the bottom of the guard, most of the 16thc two-handers show coarse forged ironwork.

The flat diamond-shaped blade did occur in earlier two-handers around the middle of the 16th century.
in the 16th century pareer thorns were forged from the ricasso , while in the 19th century these thorns were often forged and attached separately.

the blades of twohanders later in the 16th century, in combination with this type of pareer thorn, became flat or flat hexagonal, while the blades with thorns pointing towards the hilt are still diamond-shaped.

To me it's kind of a fantasy piece but I can't tell if it was made around/before 1600 or in the 19th century.

best,
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote