View Single Post
Old 13th April 2007, 11:16 PM   #7
ariel

Several comments:
1. I still vividly remember a half-witted post here from a person who no longer participates. The discussion was about a typical Turkish sword with Armenian attribution. Obviously, this was made by an Armenian master from Istanbul. He sneered " Armenian? In Turkey?" Obviously, this person had no idea that Armenians were THE artisans of the Caucasus, Turkey and Iran. Miller and Astvatsaturyan amply show that most of the swordmakers in Tbilisi, Vladikavkaz, Akhaltsikhe and other swordmaking centers were ethnic Armenians. Puruntzuzov, Papov, Khatchatur, Zinaida Koshtoyanz were all Armenians.
There are plenty of Turkish military regulation swords coming from Armenian factories. Thus, the first blade (almost straight one ) is a trade blade of Armenian manufacture as per name, with unknown initial history, remounted in Arabian style.
2. The second one( Ottoman handle) looks like a European one, very popular in the region. There were multiple locally-made blades imitating European markings, and it seems to be the case he as well. The markings superficially look European, German, most likely, but are more "home-made", there is an Islamic stamp and the fullers look Caucasian. The writings are the key: faked European blades had rather illiterate spellings. I would vote for Caucasian origin.
3. The last one ( shamshir) is not Persian, it is Georgian: see the decorations. The lion with the upturned tail is as Georgian as can be. Can't see the markings on the blade, but there seems to be a golden cartouche on the blade. Inscription?
Overall, superbly interesting collection! I would love to get hold of some (all would be even better!) of them

Last edited by ariel; 13th April 2007 at 11:26 PM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote