View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree, these are most interesting, and as traditional weapons used in the civilian martial arts sector they remained basically the same for countless generations. These were long in use by the time of the Boxer Rebellion, and as Philip noted years ago here, they were often products of village smiths.

Recalling the grip thread color, I agree with using the more subdued color or even keeping the old if it wasn't coming off. I would note that during the Boxer Rebellion martial artists often used these and other forms of the ring pommel chopper in dramatic martial exercises and displays. As I have understood, these swords were sometimes garishly festooned to add to the dramatic effect and ostensibly to terrify onlooking westerners. Still, I would not personally one of these to regain that theoretical, or should say theatrical, appearance.

The grease and oil mentioned in the earlier post was likely from the preservative grease often used when these were stored away, and may suggest a 'bringback' item from the Boxer Rebellion period.

Additional note, aren't the 'chop marks' and 'x' marks on the back of the blade as often seen on SE Asian dhas and some other Asian areas? I know I have seen similar on Laotian dhas. Perhaps the dao with these may have seen service in Chinese occupied regions in SE Asia?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote