View Single Post
Old 30th August 2010, 09:34 PM   #19
katana

Hi Tim,
the dark rust stablised patination covers around 98% of the surface, I decided to use a nylon type 'washing up' scourer to clean the surrounding area..... using a lot of water and gentle pressure.

This has nearly entirely removed the design , the design was a dull/shiny silver colour. I am convinced that this was the remains of koftgari which due to corrosion had 'lifted' from the steel and was held in 'suspension' in the stablised patina. I had sucessfully removed some of this layer....but in doing so had also removed much of the 'noticeable' koftgari

The 'sun' sign was only around 3mm in size and was very precise , as were the surviving lines.

Still, believing that it was indeed koftgari and the taking into account that this piece might be circa 18th C. I have concluded that the steel may be of quality ....perhaps even wootz (although I'm not holding my breath). I have decided to clean the 'head' and try an etch.

I am leaving the socket, as is, at the moment....until I can find out the relevance of the red ring.

All the best,

Kind Regards David

PS. I have found the 'remains' of another identical 'sun' sign next to the edge, just below one of the fullers

Last edited by katana; 30th August 2010 at 10:36 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote