View Single Post
Old 14th November 2012, 03:13 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While I have entirely zero knowledge on medieval firearms and artillery I would like to join Fernando in welcoming you to the forum Andi. I only wish Michael (Matchlock) was here to join in, as he is in my opinion one of the foremost authorities worldwide on these topics. Despite my lack of knowledge on these, I think Fernando's observations are quite valid and I am inclined to agree. While he is quite modest he does have good working knowledge on many of these weapons.

The only resource I have on the subject is searching Michaels huge corpus of posts on these, which provides me with at least cursory understanding.

The breechloader with what I presume to be the loading trough does seem to be missing the forward stage of the barrel, and corresponds with other 15th century variations of breech loaders. It seems that guns similar have been discovered from naval wreck sites and of that period, though these usually had series of pronounced bands.
The shorter one with the rear loop ? seems to be possibly a handgonne or mortar with similar in Swiss types of 15th century.
The example affixed in trough with dual iron bands seems to be of German steinbuchse type (stone gun) of 1460 +

I am not sure of the significance of the flanged barrel mouth, and it seems the two muzzle loading were likely both stone firing.
I think these can all be safely assumed 15th century. I hope that perhaps others out there who have more information might respond, and hopefully correct my attemprs at speculating. In the meantime, I know we all anxiously await Michaels return.

Thank you so much for sharing these Andi.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote