View Single Post
Old 8th November 2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zifir
That forumite is also shilly-shallying about his reading of the script If I am allowed to correct my mistake, it is B and H (I think). I can't find suitable vocalization for this word though. Assuming this is a specific Caucasian name, rather than a Turkish one, all we need is to find someone who is familiar with languages and names of that area.

LOL!!! Shilly-shallying is a great phrase!

Thank you for your continued support in trying to decipher this word Zifir.

I have now emailed a seller of Kindjals in Georgia, and an expert in Turkish/Ottoman scripts/caligraphy in Istanbul.

It's entirely possible of course, that I won't get replies (as I don't actually know either person so I'm kind of hoping they will have the time to indulge a strangers request).
But if at least one does reply, then hopefully that will either translate the missing word or exclude that line of enquiry.

This sword has really grown on me, I really do hope I can learn as much about it as possible.
It has (as acquiring a treasured weapon always does) led me to think about its history, owner and how it probobly ended up being brought back to England. Terrible possibilities, Gallipoli, that dreadful campaign and so many wasted lives. The bravery of the Turkish troops and the losses on both sides.
For what?
Not so long ago, only just beyond living memory.
I find myself hoping it wasn't taken from a fallen soldier. But so many 'foreign' antique weapons in England are here because they were.

Best
Gene

Last edited by Atlantia; 8th November 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote