View Single Post
Old 5th February 2010, 05:03 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hola Manolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
... A Miguelete in 1840? By this time, most Spain had switched to the French lock ... How about an 18th C reworked Flintlock, converted to Percussion ? ...
I doubt it.
I had already heard in the grapevines that the caplock Miqueletes remained in use up to the advent of the catridge (1835). Considering this in a general manner, i wouldn't be surprised that some provincial gunsmith still made some pecimens in 1840, be it for nostalgic reasons from either himself or an exquisite customer.
I guess that, in weapons as also in other technologies, the introduction of new techniques doesn't necessarily demobilize the previous ones... look at me, so literate .
Amazingly the last flintlock weapon made in Portugal was the copy of the New Land Pattern pistol, produced in the Army Arsenal, dated 1846.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
...Who was Juan Rodriguez? ...
Good question; i was expecting you to tell me .
It appears that gunsmiths (or other craftsmen) only come listed if they work in the country capitals or similar metropolis; who would know a couple 'handy' brothers from a Huelva little village.
But i am not particulary sad for that; at least the piece is not marked with a false name, 'borrowed' from a famous master, like so often happens.
Obviously i would love to their name somewhere .
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote