View Single Post
Old 27th March 2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Mark,
Thank you for the kind words, and as I noted, I was pretty much following your lead, and since I had heard of these coins before just revisited that data. It was great to find that exact pattern on the coin....I recall in some earlier discussion on smallswords there was a star type configuration on some Dutch sword blades in this same manner. I am wondering if the native armourers were simply applying this mark in the same sense they might have perceived those.
It seems that these type swords were produced as early as the previous century for merchants and traders as essentially status symbols, although they were obviously with ivory, horn and in some cases possibly crystal. Some of these decorative swords were probably diplomatic gifts, and there were makers in the central regions who produced lavish weapons for the Kandy rulers in earlier times.

Since this is carved wood, I would suspect it is an item produced in about the period suggested c.1800-20 as British rule took over, and probably intended for trade market. Carved wood seems to suggest native production although unusual for weapons as an accoutrement in official use. In Southern India after the defeat of Tipu Sultan in 1799, there was brisk production of weapons produced in 'Tipu's Mysori style compounded with British form intended for British officers and presentations to local officials and military. Some of these had brass hilts with Tipu style features along with the British military M1796 pattern.
Perhaps this type circumstance existed in Ceylon in the same way.

It would really be interesting to hear opinions from Anandalal, Olikara and Cornelis with thier direct connections to this historical environment.
In any case, always fun to work with you on these mysteries

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote