View Single Post
Old 12th June 2006, 04:58 AM   #20
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestoJuan
Hi Zifir, I have found this manual in the library of the Topkapi museum. Here is the translation:

Dear customer,

Congratulations with your new yataghan. We have put a lot of effort in making your yataghan experience the best one there is. Please read the operations manual below.

note:
- keep away from children.
-do not use item to comb your horse or camel.
- when storing the item for a long period, make sure that the blade is treated with camel fat.

Operations manual:

When encountering the enemy, quickly draw the sword. Cut of any limb to demobilise the enemy. Preferably, chop of the enemy's head to quickly end the ecounter. Remove any blood from the blade. Put sword back in the scabbard.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to send a horse courier to our main office in Izmir.

Sincerely,

Zurnazenbaşı İbrahim Ağa, marketing manager.

Ottoman Arms Inc. Since 500. Preferred suplier of the house of Osmanli.

Is this a joke? I'm genuinely curious? The use of "smilies" or "emoticons" often helps convey one's intent, particularly when communicating with such an imprecise medium as text, on an international discussion board.

Here are some examples:

Using one (or more of these) can avoid misunderstandings and hurt feelings. It can also make my life a bit easier because I can enjoy discussing and reading about edged weapons instead of moderating arguments between members and reading PMs and emails from upset people.

Thanks for your consideration.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote