Thread: Tactical keris
View Single Post
Old 15th September 2008, 03:39 PM   #14
Jussi M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsteel
Again, how would one define a keris? In another words, what makes keris to be called a keris?
I think this is actually a very good question to which, unfortunately, I dont have an answer

We could say - as I have read on other threads - that a keris is whatever a Karaton decides it to be, but what then are the things a keris should have in order to become a keris? - What is the criteria and is that criteria general guidelines (principles), or is it too complex to be be drawn as a set of principles that govern what is a keris and what is not? - I gather there must be some basic principles - otherwise there would be chaos which cannot be.

The "tactical" keris I pictured is, bluntly said, unique on its hideousness (IMO). Not all "keris" like objects however are "bad" though they cannot be seen a proper "kerises". Some stuff actually is pretty neat though it is of course arguable what is neat and what is not. I very much like the aesthetics of this modern variation which, on a way, has some roots to an actual culture that used bladed weapons with such a blade form:

Newsteels´s question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsteel
Again, how would one define a keris? In another words, what makes keris to be called a keris?
...is in my opinion indeed an excellent question which deserves a worthy answer

Best,

J
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote