View Single Post
Old 31st July 2015, 07:50 PM   #5
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Miguel,
A most interesting Nilotic sword, and as you note, these are typically regarded as from Dongola, actually on the Nile. This form is regarded as associated with this region in Egerton, as well as other references I have seen.
I would note that the triple fullers and the dukari (moons) are clearly spuriously applied, of course in imitation of the blades typically seen in the Sahara on takouba. The blades on these swords of the 19th c. typically had crocodile image engraved lengthwise on the blade, but never as far as I have known have they used this motif.

May I ask more on your note suggesting this may be from Darfur?

These are most interesting form and not typically seen among the swords and edged weapons of these areas.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments which I entirely agree with. Your query re my reference to Darfur set me thinking as I had assumed that Kordofan was part of this region and should have said this and not mentioned Darfur which just shows my ignorance of this area. I also failed to mention that the design of the hilt is almost identical to hilts shown on some Arab long knives from Ethiopia and Somalia also there is a good resemblance on some sword hilts from the Cameroon. I`m sorry for the mistake but I do find the Sudan very confusing.
Regards

Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote