View Single Post
Old 25th May 2023, 04:01 PM   #8
Felix the Cat

Hi, I am a new member of the board, and would like to post some images of what I believe is an Ottoman Boylila type musket. I am a restoration gunsmith based near Edinburgh in Scotland.

The piece that I have aquired was about to be thrown in a skip as part of a house clearnance, but was rescued and passed to me..

The musket was in pretty bad state.. I suspect it has been in a room with a coal fire as everything was covered with a black crust!

I have managed to remove the lock and give it a good clean. It has silver appliqued panels and, under the crud, appears in fairly good condition. The butt stock is covered with a cotton filigree cover with what I think is a silk velvet base.. much faded.

The stock seems to be missing an end piece as the butt is flat cut wood, and there is a cavity at the top where it looks like a top strap has been fitted..

I have carefully removed the "crust" over the mother of pearl covering on the stock, however there is much still to do. The stock was broken in the centre, which I have repaired, but there are obviously missing stock bands and the rammer is missing. I plan to make new bands out of brass shim, but leave them plain so they are obvious.

Any advice on restoring the butt stock would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Felix the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote