View Single Post
Old 5th September 2014, 09:16 AM   #19
spiral

mmm interesting Alan, I wasn't suggesting you sell it, {given the nature of this thread,} just that you found it a great pig sticker, but to many its a valueable collectable.

When I was about 20, I worked in an iron foundry as a hammerman, when I turned up the owner of the foundry laughed & said I was to small, {5ft 8 & 9 stone soaking wet.} I said let me start & if I can do it give me the job if I cant you've had however many hours I last for free.

He laughed & said fine, I did that job for 9 months using a 7lb sledge many hours day. The other hammermen were rather hardy & more massive Sikhs, I had the same output as them.

I preferred the short handled,{ about 20 inch, I think} 4lb & 5lb for one handed work though.

But yes I prefer 5lb for felling! And of course the Colonial hardwoods are much harder than the English.

My Elwell is a felling axe, {I worked in Forestry for a while before going in the foundry.} Its a well known 18th & 19th century English pattern, generally used for softwoods, or notching hardwoods before saw felling, at one time it was sold as the "forest blazer".

Heres an old photo of it next to a standard Gurkha issue kukri. {11 inch blade.} The handle is wytch elm, I find it better than ash , hickory is great but slaps the hands a bit sometimes?

It was virtually unused when I found it years ago, so I guess someone else thought it to heavy to use as well! It was the most expensive axe Elwell used to make.

I must make it a new handle.... just hard to find a piece that's not kiln dried & has the right grain shape.

spiral
Attached Images

spiral is offline   Reply With Quote