Thread: Moro Kris
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2011, 05:22 PM   #34
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
Sadly, the new york times clip with the illustration of the sultan and the captain smiling as he was handing the kalis to him didn't come with it
But seriously, i have seen and held this particular kalis a month prior to acquiring it, even took some pics so i could take a good look at it. As far as the previous owner: he has been collecting since the early 60's. This particular piece has been with him for a long time. The gunong was an example to show you that a presentation piece need not to be a gold encrusted, junggayan ivory and other superlative type weapon, but rather it could just be something that we expect ti be of lesser quality. There's a b&w photo circulating in the 'net of three swords( i remembered one was an average barung) that was given by the same sultan to a reporter.
The probability of the hilt being exchanged sometimes after it was presented is possible, but the chance of whoever did that (for the sake of argument, say sometimes before the 70's) and exchanged it with a datu class pommel that is exclusively a Sulu Sultanate style is: a) he knew what the heck he was doing, or b) or one heck of a lucky guess. If we go by choice a), for what reason would he exchange it? I might not know much about moro weapons as much as you do, my friend, but i'm pretty confident that i think i know what i'm looking at, and i would like to think i'm wise enough to know what i'm getting into. As far as the asang-asang, it moved because as i have mentioned to rick, the clip was loose. Now, let me ask your expert opinion on this: is the asang-asang suppose to be air tight to the point where it's immovable on these type of kalis? You're really starting to worry me about being gyped into buying a supposedly an excellent provenanced and one of a kind piece....
Sadly Ron you are going far beyond my very simple questioning of the silver work on this hilt. So to be clear (and if you re-read my posts you will see that i have already been clear):
1. I do NOT doubt the provenance of this piece and never have. I do NOT believe you have been ripped off (gypped is an ethnic slur to be avoided IMO) and i do of course believe this is a nice one-of-a-kind item.
2. I questioned the movement of the asang-asang, but don't, as i have already stated, necessarily believe that the hilt has been changed. When i have seen previous shadow outlines on blades before it has usually indicated that the clamp had been changed at some time.
3. I am not now, nor have i ever implied that i am an "expert" on these types of kalis or anything at all for that matter. I observe and ask simple questions to which i do not expect the OP to get defensive about. You obviously have more experience with Moro weapons than i do since it is your thing, so please don't get snarky with me about this. But since you ask, in my logical mind it is the function of the clamp to hold the hilt securely and tightly to the blade so i would not image that movement in the clamp is a positive thing for it's functioning.
4. I do not now, nor have i ever believed that a presentation piece needs to be encrusted with gold or ivory. I was merely commenting that the silver work on you kalis does not look up to the standard of the era in general as i know it. That does not mean that it is not of that era, just that i am used to seeing a higher level of silver work when silver is employed.
5. As for the gunong, i am surprised you would consider this a "lower quality" piece. I think it's pretty damn beautiful and unusual (especially the nicely carved hilt) and one i would personally be more that happy to have been "presented" with.
To sum up Ron, i have never in this thread made any positive claims that this kalis isn't what you claim it to be. I have had some questions about certain details on the hilt which i have made not as a matter of any claimed expertise, but merely on logical observation and past experience. It's a beautiful blade and a wonderful find, one i would be more than happy to own. I still remain doubtful about the silver work on the hilt, but i can certainly make no definite claims that my doubts are correct. Still i assert my right to question what i observe and do so without the intent of causing any offense to you or your great understanding of Moro weaponry.
David is offline   Reply With Quote