View Single Post
Old 10th June 2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I will echo Martin's note on Bill's sword from Baule...absolutely magnificent! Thank you for the wonderful photos Bill. The shells intact on the scabbard are outstanding, and amazing to see these intact like this.

Regarding the sword posted, which is in the familiar mounts attributed to the Mandingo in Mali, with beautiful leather work and the distinct discs and the guardless hilt, it is quite possible these may have diffused of course to other regions to the west. It has been a personal holding of mine that there are distinct associations between these mounts and the equally distinct Omani 'kattara', whose influence may well have entered these regions in my opinion via the trade routes. In research some time ago this diffusion from Omani trade in Zanzibar that extended as far as Morocco and throughout trade centers across the Sahara became quite apparant.

While the Baule are a distinct tribal group to the west, it is important to observe that 'Malinke' is a variant term applied to the 'Mandingo' (also Manding, Mandin, Mande). Some years ago I knew a Fulani gentleman who was from Guinea, and in showing him an illustration of one of these sabres, he immediately recognised it and promptly referred to it (in Fulani) as a 'kota', this being the apparant term in Fulani for sword (probably generally applied).

With this, it became clear that there was some degree of diffusion to the west of these disctinctly mounted sabres, and it would be as difficult to geographically assign them as many African weapon forms. In general, these remain primarily considered Mandingo weapons, and from regions in Mali. These were of course invariably mounted with European sabre blades of 19th century, and most typically French with the colonial presence there.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote