View Single Post
Old 10th August 2016, 01:33 AM   #76
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Magnificent pictures ! I recall sitting on a mound in the middle of a not yet restored Fort a few decades back...and after brushing off some dust discovered what it was that I had been sitting upon... A huge Portuguese Bronze Cannon with the name plate of Albuquerque the famous Portuguese General !
~ Getting back to the Diu battle I was amazed to discover the peculiar origins of the protagonists and the strategy employed by each. It is apparent that the Portuguese tactics and equipment were far superior to the opponents but equally difficult to see how later they would be on the losing side in Bahrain, Muscat, Zanzibar, the Zanj (Fort Jesus)...and why? Their defeat on the coast of Arabia and Africa had nothing to do with tactics as it was the effects of fever; Cholera and Malaria which signaled their collapse.

Due to its strategic importance, there was a Battle of Diu in 1509 between Portugal and a combined force of Turkey, Egypt, Venice, the Republic of Ragusa (now known as Dubrovnik) and the Sultan of Gujarat, Mahmud Begada. In 1513, the Portuguese tried to establish an outpost there, but negotiations were unsuccessful. There were failed attempts by Diogo Lopes de Sequeira in 1521, Nuno da Cunha in 1523. In 1531 the conquest attempted by D. Nuno da Cunha was also not successful.

For the remaining saga please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Diu_%281509%29

On the subject of Albuquerque upon whose cannon I had sat ! ~ Quote''He had brilliantly understood a number of factors: Albuquerque saw that there were three key emporia in the Indian Ocean: Malacca, Aden and Hormuz, each on a narrow strait controlling access to a major trade route. Malacca was the gateway to the Bay of Bengal, the Spice Islands (the Moluccas) and China. Aden was the gateway to Egypt, North Africa and the Mediterranean. Hormuz controlled access to the Gulf and the overland trade to Iran, Central Asia and the Middle Eastern heartlands."Unquote.

Please see http://archive.aramcoworld.com/issue...portuguese.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 10th August 2016 at 01:53 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote