View Single Post
Old 20th September 2012, 04:14 AM   #11
satsujinken

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Donny, the vital factor in keris preservation is how it has been kept; a very old keris may not look very old.

It is believed that the reason that keris and bronze objects are found buried is that they were buried to keep them safe. In olden times Jawa was not like it is now. Cultivated areas were much less, there was a lot of forest. No proper roads, just foot tracks and an occasional bigger track. A lot of travel was by sea and river. Armed bands of bandits wandered the land and robbed the settled inhabitants. If a band of robbers was in the area people would bury their valuable goods to prevent theft. This happened in WWII and during the struggle that followed WWII also. If the people who did the burying were killed, or forgot or could not locate the buried goods, they stayed there until such time somebody chanced upon them while doing farm work or whatever.

As for the gentleman in the Malang-Singosari area, sorry Donny, you already know too much.

The blade will stain if it is ferric material, but it can only stain in accordance with the type of ferric material that it is, which will probably be greyish and without any contrast. There is the possibility that the seller does not want it cleaned and stained because once clean you might see something that he doesn't want to be seen, like gas or electric weld spots, or something else that will indicate it is not as old as he wants you to think it is. Take note of the asking price, this will be your best indicator.
thank you, for the enlightenment - really appreciate it

about the gentleman in Singosari ?? mmm ... last year if I'm not mistaken, I got an offer to re-stain and traditionally maintain (jamasan) of my collection for a price, but I decline the offer due to the price offered is too high (for me)

could be this person who made it ?? (besalen dan galeri keris 'Condro Aji' in - Jalan Tumapel 59 Singosari), if so, I am very interested to pay him a visit ...

back to topic

I will update all information regarding this one. I already sent request to the seller (which located in Malang T_T) ... for more pictures

there's chance I will be back to Malang this weekend - we'll see
satsujinken is offline   Reply With Quote